[LAU] New GxValveCaster LV2 plugin
Hermann Meyer
2018-12-05 08:06:00 UTC
Hi

I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.

It's a tube based boost guitar pedal simulation.

It adds some overdrive and tube compression along with boosting the signal.

It will fit perfect in your signal chain before your guitar-amp-simulator.

It could as well colorize your synth or your Bass to become a "tuby" sound.

It is published under the GNU General Public License v3.0

You can get it here:

https://github.com/brummer10/GxValveCaster.lv2

regards

hermann
Christopher Arndt
2018-12-05 16:56:15 UTC
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
[...]
https://github.com/brummer10/GxValveCaster.lv2
Nice! Will this become part of the GxPlugins collection at some point or
will this stay separate?

Cheers, Chris
Hermann Meyer
2018-12-05 18:50:29 UTC
Post by Christopher Arndt
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
[...]
https://github.com/brummer10/GxValveCaster.lv2
Nice! Will this become part of the GxPlugins collection at some point or
will this stay separate?
Cheers, Chris
Hi Chris

Currently there are no plans to incorporate this with the GxPlugins
package.

I think about making evtl. a new package from the latest plugs I've
made. This may currently include the CreamMachine, the ReverseDelay and
the ValveCaster.

GxPlugins already contain 28 plugins, which is hugh, isn't it. I would
love to exclude the best of them, like GxSuperFuzz, GxNightFuzz,
GXLiquideDrive and GxSVT and made a new package with selected best
plugs. The ValveCaster deserve for sure a place in that.

Only I'm not sure how to proceed from here on.

regards

hermann
Thorsten Wilms
2018-12-05 19:40:59 UTC
Hi Hermann!
Post by Hermann Meyer
Currently there are no plans to incorporate this with the GxPlugins
package.
I think about making evtl. a new package from the latest plugs I've
made. This may currently include the CreamMachine, the ReverseDelay and
the ValveCaster.
GxPlugins already contain 28 plugins, which is hugh, isn't it. I would
love to exclude the best of them, like GxSuperFuzz, GxNightFuzz,
GXLiquideDrive and GxSVT and made a new package with selected best
plugs. The ValveCaster deserve for sure a place in that.
Only I'm not sure how to proceed from here on.
You should of course experiment and organize as you like and enjoy. I'd
like to offer the following as food for thought:

As a user, I care about being able to load and share (old) Ardour
sessions without breaking plugin references and with the least possible
effort in hunting down package dependencies. In this regard, plugins
being moved into or between collections makes me nervous. I don't see an
issue with 28 ... or 56+ plugins in one collection ;)

Plugins changing in sound, especially if they are new, is to be
expected, of course.

As (potential) packager, I'd have to wonder how to deal with either many
single plugins and/or the shuffling. Maybe you could establish one
collection that is clearly marked experimental, "everything may change
drastically, don't package this" and another that is stable, for
production use? If further differentiation is required, I think doing so
based on quality will be hard, by topic much easier.
--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/
Jeremy Jongepier
2018-12-06 08:41:14 UTC
Hello Hermann,
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
Awesome! Any chance you could also do the BoobTube (sorry for the name,
didn't coin it myself)? I've built the physical version and it's a great
booster! It's basically an improved ValveCaster.

http://juansolo.mooo.com/stompage/btbuild.html

Jeremy
Hermann Meyer
2018-12-06 11:46:41 UTC
Post by Jeremy Jongepier
Hello Hermann,
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
Awesome! Any chance you could also do the BoobTube (sorry for the name,
didn't coin it myself)? I've built the physical version and it's a great
booster! It's basically an improved ValveCaster.
http://juansolo.mooo.com/stompage/btbuild.html
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the link.

I've give it a shot, and it sound's nice so far. Will be soon in the
collection. :-)

I wonder if you build it with a 40V or a 60V power supply?

This makes a huge difference here in the simulation.

For reference here is the frequency plot of the BoobTube at 40V

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5293/dypm55xc_png.htm

and here with 60V

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5293/hc2ywbbz_png.htm

and this is the response of the ValveCaster (12V)

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5293/l8jhh3sv_png.htm

regards

hermann
Jeremy Jongepier
2018-12-06 12:41:20 UTC
Hello Hermann,
Post by Hermann Meyer
Thanks for the link.
I've give it a shot, and it sound's nice so far. Will be soon in the
collection. :-)
Nice!
Post by Hermann Meyer
I wonder if you build it with a 40V or a 60V power supply?
40V charge pump but I've just got all the components in to build a 60V one.
Post by Hermann Meyer
This makes a huge difference here in the simulation.
For reference here is the frequency plot of the BoobTube at 40V
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5293/dypm55xc_png.htm
and here with 60V
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5293/hc2ywbbz_png.htm
So looks like the 40V version boosts the lows a bit more while the 60V
version has slightly more highs? I'll check if I hear any significant
differences.
Post by Hermann Meyer
and this is the response of the ValveCaster (12V)
https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5293/l8jhh3sv_png.htm
I checked the ValveCaster first but the BoobTube simply has better
reviews and is not that harder to build.

Jeremy

For those interested some build pics:
Hermann Meyer
2018-12-07 19:35:07 UTC
Post by Jeremy Jongepier
Hello Hermann,
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
Awesome! Any chance you could also do the BoobTube (sorry for the name,
didn't coin it myself)? I've built the physical version and it's a great
booster! It's basically an improved ValveCaster.
http://juansolo.mooo.com/stompage/btbuild.html
Jeremy
Hi Jeremy

Here we go:

https://github.com/brummer10/GxBoobTube.lv2

I couldn't really decide for my self with simulation I like more, the
one with 40V or the one with 60V. So I put both in it and add a voltage
switch, so we could compare the simulations on 40V and 60V.

Also it comes with a MOD UI, easy to build and use on the MOD.

I've used it the last few hours on my MOD in front of the CreamMachine
and have a lot of fun.

regards

hermann
Christopher Arndt
2018-12-07 20:24:19 UTC
Hi Hermann,
Post by Hermann Meyer
https://github.com/brummer10/GxBoobTube.lv2
it seems you forgot to include zita-resampler in the repo or as a
sub-module.

Also, in the readme, you probably mean "it's a variation of the
ValveCaster", don't you?

Chris
Hermann Meyer
2018-12-07 20:39:50 UTC
Post by Christopher Arndt
Hi Hermann,
Post by Hermann Meyer
https://github.com/brummer10/GxBoobTube.lv2
it seems you forgot to include zita-resampler in the repo or as a
sub-module.
Also, in the readme, you probably mean "it's a variation of the
ValveCaster", don't you?
Chris
Ups, Yes and Yes.

Fixed now, thanks for the pointer.

regards

hermann

Christopher Arndt
2018-12-06 14:22:38 UTC
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
It's a tube based boost guitar pedal simulation.
It could as well colorize your synth or your Bass to become a "tuby" sound.
Sounds quite good on a Behringer Model D too.

The one thing to note, though, is that the effect is already quite
pronounced even with the gain at zero.

Chris
Hermann Meyer
2018-12-06 16:16:16 UTC
Post by Christopher Arndt
Post by Hermann Meyer
I've developed a new LV2 plugin, the ValveCaster.
It's a tube based boost guitar pedal simulation.
It could as well colorize your synth or your Bass to become a "tuby" sound.
Sounds quite good on a Behringer Model D too.
The one thing to note, though, is that the effect is already quite
pronounced even with the gain at zero.
Chris
Glade you like it.

This is a simulation of the original Valvecaster circuit, the "gain"
control the bias resistor of the first half tube, so the effect can't be
completely suppressed even at zero setting.

There floating around a couple of mods for this circuit, which I ain't
have tried so far, but maybe I could include some of them, optional with
a mod selector or so. Increasing the value of the gain controller is one
of the mods, which may lead to a more suppressed effect on zero setting.

I've to try that.

regards

hermann