[LAU] LAM
Will Godfrey
2018-11-18 08:19:12 UTC
Linux Audio Music has been dormant for a very long time, but recently I
contacted the the person who hosted and ran it.

The reason he closed it was because of a serious vulnerability was discovered in
Rails, and he no longer had time to do the necessary upgrades.

However, he has told me that he still has the entire database and the code. In
his own words:
"... would be happy to host and do what I can to facilitate a handoff to
someone else who wants to manage it."

For anyone who doesn't know, this was a relatively simple and clean site aimed
specifically at providing a home for tracks composed with Linux - something
rather rare!
--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk
Daniel Swärd
2018-11-19 08:52:11 UTC
Post by Will Godfrey
Linux Audio Music has been dormant for a very long time, but recently
I contacted the the person who hosted and ran it.
The reason he closed it was because of a serious vulnerability was
discovered in Rails, and he no longer had time to do the necessary
upgrades.
However, he has told me that he still has the entire database and the
"... would be happy to host and do what I can to facilitate a handoff
to someone else who wants to manage it."
For anyone who doesn't know, this was a relatively simple and clean
site aimed specifically at providing a home for tracks composed with
Linux - something rather rare!
Note: Just realized that the original post was cross-posted on LAU as
well, but I'm posting my answer here too in case people are not on both
lists.

I think it would be easier and more manageable to just have a group on
soundcloud (or similar) where we collect music made in Linux. This
would remove the obstacle keeping the LAM site down (lack of time to
keep up with updates/security fixes)...

Cheers

/Daniel
David W. Jones
2018-11-20 02:58:16 UTC
Post by Will Godfrey
to someone else who wants to manage it."
For anyone who doesn't know, this was a relatively simple and clean
site aimed specifically at providing a home for tracks composed with
Linux - something rather rare!
Note: Just realized that the original post was cross-posted on LAU as
well, but I'm posting my answer here too in case people are not on both
lists.
I think it would be easier and more manageable to just have a group on
soundcloud (or similar) where we collect music made in Linux. This
would remove the obstacle keeping the LAM site down (lack of time to
keep up with updates/security fixes)...
Cheers
/Daniel
Easier and more manageable, yes, but not portable.

The future of SoundCloud is very uncertain. Should SoundCloud close, or go paid-subscription-only, it might not be a viable place for free music.

Maybe an organization like CRMA would be interested in hosting LAM and keeping infrastructure current, while someone else could manage it?

--
David W. Jones
***@hawaii.rr.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.